1. Orders despatched same working day
    if ordered before 3pm
  2. Home
  3. Login
  4. View Cart
  5. Checkout

Burnhope 1895

Burnhope 1895

Ref: DUR19.02

published 2001; introduction by Tom Oliphant
This very detailed map covers the colliery village of Burnhope, just SW of Stanley. The map is double-sided to give maximum coverage. The main map covers the village itself, (really the eastern part of today's village) and includes St John's church, Burnhope Wagonway, and Burnhope Colliery - Fortune and Annie Pits. Fell Pit with its own wagonway is also included, as is Ibbetson's Sike Quarry. The map extends north to Burnhope Engine, east to what is now the hamlet of Peartree. Also included are Holmside Hall, noted for its remarkable effigy of a woman "either drinking from a bottle or....playing the bagpipes" on a barn wall (though this is not visible to the public). The map also includes Holmside New Hall and the area now known as Little Holmside. On the reverse we include a large section of adjacent sheet 12.14 which extends coverage north to Morrowedge Quarry, South Moor and (at the top of the map) South Moor Colliery - Hedley Pit.

The map links up with Sheets 12.06 Stanley to the north, 12.15 Craghead to the NE and 19.03 Edmondsley to the east

Price:1.50




Recently Viewed